Daily Mass Readings and Reflections January 25, 2023

3rd Week in Ordinary Time

25th January 2023 (Wednesday) Readings and Reflection

Daily Mass Readings and Reflections January 25, 2023

{getToc} $title={Contents}

Reading of the Day

First Reading: Acts 22:3-16

In those days: Paul said to the people, "I am a Jew, born in Tarsus in Cilicia, but brought up in this city, educated at the feet of Gamaliel according to the strict manner of the law of our fathers, being zealous for God as all of you are this day. I persecuted this Way to the death, binding and delivering to prison both men and women, as the high priest and the whole council of elders can bear me witness. From them I received letters to the brothers, and I journeyed towards Damascus to take those also who were there and bring them in bonds to Jerusalem to be punished. "As I was on my way and drew near to Damascus, about noon a great light from heaven suddenly shone around me. And I fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to me, 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?' "And I answered, 'Who are you, Lord?' And he said to me, 'I am Jesus of Nazareth, whom you are persecuting!' Now those who were with me saw the light but did not understand the voice of the one who was speaking to me. And I said, 'What shall do, Lord? And the Lord said to me, 'Rise, and go into Damascus, and there you will be told all that is appointed for you to do.'And since I could not see because of the brightness of that light, I was led by the hand by those who were with me, and came into Damascus. "And one Ananias, a devout man according to the law, well spoken of by all the Jews who lived there, came to me, and standing by me said to me, 'Brother Saul, receive your sight.' And at that very hour I received my sight and saw him. And he said, 'The God of our fathers appointed you to know his will, to see the Righteous One and to hear a voice from his mouth; for you will be a witness for him to everyone of what you have seen and heard. And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name."

Psalm 117:1, 2 (R. Mark 16:15)

Response: Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel.

Gospel : Mark 16:15-18

At that time: [Appearing to the Eleven] Jesus said to them, "Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up serpents with their hands; and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover."

Daily Gospel Reflection

The Reflection by Fr. Thumma Mariadas Reddy MSFS{alertWarning}

Main Theme: Struck and about-turn!

Indicative: God’s grace and mercy have no boundaries. They can touch and convert anyone at any time. It requires humble receptivity and cooperation{alertSuccess}

1. Today, we celebrate Paul’s conversion. His conversion is one of the world’s greatest testimonies to God’s wondrous and unpredictable ways. As the angel attested to Mary at the annunciation, “nothing is impossible for God”

2. By grace, a virgin conceives like Mary. By grace, old women bear a son like Sarah and Elizabeth. Now by the same grace, a fierce hater and persecutor like Saul could become an intense lover and promoter of faith and God’s people.

3. Therefore, we shall never apply conditions or impose restrictions on God’s grace and action. Never try to “domesticate” God. All the acts of fanaticism, communal violence, and hate campaign are vivid proofs of this “domestication” of God’s grace. It is religious arrogance.

4. Every sort of persecution is equal to persecuting God Himself, as Jesus says to Saul, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?” This realisation should dawn on everyone, especially those who persecute others in the name of religion or fidelity to tradition and heritage. They mistakenly think and are wrongly convinced that they are pleasing God. In fact, they are only agonising and persecuting God.

5. Paul’s conversion indicates that the guiding principle and norm of life must be not the persecution of others but the conversion of the self. What is important is not resisting God’s way and forcing others to follow wrong convictions. It is rather supporting and promoting God’s Way of salvation.

6. Paul’s conversion is a roadmap for genuine conversion. The description of the conversion scene suggests some essential conditions of conversion: Light shone. He fell to the ground. He heard a voice from above. Jesus’ words, “Why are you persecuting me?” reveal the truth of God’s agony in the harm to others. Paul’s question, “What shall I do?” indicates his prompt willingness to change his way of life.

7. Paul receives a new course of action: he gets up and goes to Damascus. There he meets the holy man Ananias who baptises him and restores sight. He follows what Ananias directs him to do. Ananias’ words to Paul also indicate what are the real ingredients and effects of conversion. They are to know God’s will, to hear the sound of his voice, and to be His witness before all..

Imperative: Docility and openness to realise and change the way of life are essential for any conversion. Let us not adamantly adhere to false convictions and persecute God and others{alertSuccess}

Sam

Hello this is Sam, I am Blogger.

Post a Comment

Thank You for your comment

Previous Post Next Post