Catholic Mass Readings and Reflection May 01, 2023

Fourth Week of Easter

1st May 2023 (Monday) Readings and Reflection

catholic-mass-readings-and-reflection-may-01-2023

Reading of the Day

First Reading: Acts 11:1-18

In those days: The apostles and the brothers who were throughout Judea heard that the Gentiles also had received the word of God. So when Peter went up to Jerusalem, the circumcision party criticized him, saying, "You went to uncircumcised men and ate with them." But Peter began and explained it to them in order: "I was in the city of Joppa praying, and in a trance I saw a vision, something like a great sheet descending, being let down from heaven by its four corners, and it came down to me. Looking at it closely, I observed animals and beasts of prey and reptiles and birds of the air. And I heard a voice saying to me, 'Rise, Peter; kill and eat.' But I said, 'By no means, Lord; for nothing common or unclean has ever entered my mouth.' But the voice answered a second time from heaven, 'What God has made clean, do not call common.' This happened three times, and all was drawn up again into heaven. And behold, at that very moment three men arrived at the house in which we were, sent to me from Caesarea. And the Spirit told me to go with them, making no distinction. These six brothers also accompanied me, and we entered the man's house. And he told us how he had seen the angel stand in his house and say, 'Send to Joppa and bring Simon who is called Peter; he will declare to you a message by which you will be saved, you and all your household.' As I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell on them just as on us at the beginning. And I remembered the word of the Lord, how he said, 'John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.' If then God gave the same gift to them as he gave to us when we believed in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could stand in God's way?" When they heard these things they fell silent. And they glorified God, saying, "Then to the Gentiles also God has granted repentance that leads to life."

Psalm 42:2-3; 43:3, 4 (R. see 42:3ab)

R/. My soul is thirsting for you, the living God. Or: Alleluia.

Gospel : John 10:11-18

At that time: Jesus said, "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. He who is a hired hand and not a shepherd, who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. He flees because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd. For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This charge I have received from my Father."

Daily Gospel Reflection

The Reflection by Fr. Thumma Mariadas Reddy MSFS{alertWarning}

Main Theme: Who am I to hinder God?

Indicative: For God’s grace, there are no bounds or boundaries. All are free to receive His Holy Spirit, if there is openness and repentance {alertSuccess}

1. “Enter the sheepfold through the gate” implies entering the Kingdom through Jesus. Jesus is the Gate and Shepherd. Faith in him makes us members of the kingdom. He knows each one of us personally. He calls us by our name. He leads us from the forefront.

2. If we are his sheep, we must listen to his voice. We must recognise his voice. We must identify the voice of thieves, robbers and strangers. We must flee from them. We shall enter in and out through the proper gate. We shall follow only our Good Shepherd and walk the right way, shown and led by the Good Shepherd.

3. Only following Jesus will lead us to salvation. Only in him, we find our nourishing pastures. Only in him, there is true life. This life is something deep, meaningful and abundant. And we will be granted eternal life as well.

4. This is what Peter testifies to in the first reading. Whoever is open to the call and voice of the Lord, whoever repents and turns to the Lord, believes in him and follows him, will be joined to the sheep of the shepherd. He came for all. He does not discriminate or discard anyone.

Imperative: In a world teaming with many thieves and strangers who try to steal and destroy us, we must constantly try to identify our true shepherd and follow him alone {alertSuccess}

Sam

Hello this is Sam, I am Blogger.

Post a Comment

Thank You for your comment

Previous Post Next Post