Forth Week of Easter
03rd May 2023 (Wednesday) Readings and Reflection
Reading of the Day
First Reading: 1 Corinthians 15:1-8
Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, 2 and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you—unless you believed in vain. 3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures, 5 and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. 6 Then he appeared to more than five hundred brothers at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have fallen asleep. 7 Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles. 8 Last of all, as to one untimely born, he appeared also to me.
Psalm 19:2-3, 4-5
R/. Their Sound goes forth through all the earth Or: Alleluia.
Gospel : John 14. 6-14
6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.” 8 Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” 9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. 11 Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves. 12 “Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. 13 Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.
Daily Gospel Reflection
The Reflection by Fr. Thumma Mariadas Reddy MSFS{alertWarning}
Main Theme: Except through me!
Indicative: What an intrinsic and inseparable union between the Father and the Son! The Father is in the Son and the Son is in the Father{alertSuccess}
1. Today we celebrate the feast of St Philip and St James, two of the Twelve Apostles. Fittingly, the word of God clarifies to us the essentials of faith and the gospel. The kernel of the Gospel is that the Father and the Son are one. The Son is in the Father and the Father is in the Son.
2. What Paul recounts in the first reading is not a mere history of recounting the past details. But it is a “confession of faith”. It is a personal experience of receiving faith and renewing life. It is believing the gospel and living it.
3. It is knowing Christ. It is being convinced that our salvation is in his life, death and resurrection. It is to live for him and live like him. It is bearing witness to the Lord.
4. The union between the Father and the Son is not just a matter of personal relationship between both of them. It is “our” matter. It is our faith and salvation. It is not a relationship, merely one-to-one, directed to each other.
5. This relationship is crucial for us because it involves us. We see in their inseparability the immeasurable love of God turned to us. We see God’s own face holding us in the same hold of love.
6. The Father and the Son are one because both live in each other by way of the same life and love. The Son has the same life as the Father. He loves with the same love. He speaks the same words. He does the same works of the Father. He glorifies the Father.
7. It is because of this oneness, the Son becomes the “reflection” of the Father. Thereby whoever sees the Son, has seen the Father. Whoever knows the Son, has known the Father. Further, the Son is also able to grant everything, the greatest being eternal life.
8. It is because of this communion only, Jesus is the “Way, the life and the Truth”. He becomes the most authentic giver, guide and teacher that guarantees salvation.
Imperative: Like Philip, let us ignite our moving for God. Let us join Philip: “Show us the Father and that is enough{alertSuccess}
