Catholic Mass Readings and Reflection June 06, 2023

9th Week in Ordinary Time

06th June 2023 (Tuesday) Readings and Reflection

Psalter: Week 1

catholic-mass-readings-and-reflection-june-06-2023

Reading of the Day

First Reading: Tobit 1:3; 2:1-8

On [Pentecost] night I, Tobit, washed myself and I went out into my courtyard and fell asleep beside the courtyard wall, and my face was uncovered because of the heat. I did not know that there were sparrows on the wall above me, and their warm droppings fell into my eyes and brought on white films. I went to the physicians to be healed, but the more they anointed with their portions, the more my eyes were blinded by the white films until I was completely blind. For four years I had no use of my eyes. All my relatives grieved over me and Ahikar took care of me for two years, before he went to Elymais. At that time my wife Anna earned money at women’s work. She used to send the products to their employers and they would pay her wages. On the seventh of Dystros, she cut off a woven piece and sent it to the employers and they paid her the whole price and gave her a kid from the herd to take home. When she returned to me the kid began to bleat. So I called her and said, “Where did you get this goat? It is not stolen, is it? Return it to its owners, for we do not have the right to eat anything stolen.” And she said to me, “It was given to me as a gift in addition to my wage.” But I did not believe her and kept telling her to return it to the owners, and I became flushed over this on her account. Then she replied to me, “And where are your deeds of mercy? Where are your righteous deeds? Behold! These things are known about you!”

Psalm 112:1b-2, 7-8, 9 (R. see 7b)

R/. With a firm heart, the just man trusts in the Lord

Gospel : Mark 12:13-17

At that time: They sent to Jesus some of the Pharisees and some of the Herodians, to trap him in his talk. And they came and said to him, “Teacher, we know that you are true and do not care about anyone’s opinion. For you are not swayed by appearances, but truly teach the way of God. Is it lawful to pay taxes to Caesar, or not? Should we pay them, or should we not?” But, knowing their hypocrisy, he said to them, “Why put me to the test? Bring me a denarius and let me look at it.” And they brought one. And he said to them, “Whose likeness and inscription is this?” They said to him, “Caesar’s.” Jesus said to them, “Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.” And they marvelled at him.

Daily Gospel Reflection

The Reflection by Fr. Thumma Mariadas Reddy MSFS{alertWarning}

Main Theme: Deprived of eyesight!

Indicative: The world of today languishes in hypocrisy. Hypocrisy is the result of a lack of clarity. This in turn is a lack of wisdom{alertSuccess}

1. In the first reading, we see Tobit losing his eyesight. Later we come to know that this is a test of his faith and charity. But for us, this sight can symbolise the light of wisdom. This sight helps one to see clearly. True wisdom gives one clarity of priorities. It enables us to discern among the different concerns.

2. Accordingly it is this wisdom that makes us live a balanced and harmonious life. Such a life gives to Caesar what is his due and to God what is His due. It is the same wisdom that breaks the trap and snare of the Pharisees and scribes.

3. Wisdom discerns between earthly duties and heavenly commitment. Wisdom ensures that there is no conflict between the two. Wisdom fosters a sense of harmony. Wisdom also leads to a virtuous life.

4. This wise and virtuous life is seen in Jesus, in the words of his opponents, addressed to trap him. As they acclaimed, Jesus was “a truthful man… not concerned about anyone’s opinion. Does not regard a person’s status. Teaches the way of God in accordance with the truth”.

5. Many times we are hypocritical even about our hypocrisy. Hypocritically they wanted to project their crookedness and malice as diplomacy and truthfulness. Their praises were not genuine but mere flatteries, still they were very true to Jesus.

Imperative: God is never a God of conflict and disharmony. Let us plead with God to make us wise and truthful{alertSuccess}

Sam

Hello this is Sam, I am Blogger.

Post a Comment

Thank You for your comment

Previous Post Next Post