Catholic Mass Readings and Reflection June 24, 2023

The Nativity of Saint John The Baptist

24th June 2023 (Saturday) Readings and Reflection

Psalter: Week 3

Reading of the Day

First Reading: Isaiah 49:1-6

Listen to me, O coastlands, and give attention, you peoples from afar. The Lord called me from the womb, from the body of my mother he named my name. He made my mouth like a sharp sword; in the shadow of his hand he hid me; he made me a polished arrow; in his quiver he hid me away. And he said to me, “You are my servant, Israel, in whom I will be glorified.” But I said, “I have laboured in vain; I have spent my strength for nothing and vanity; yet surely my right is with the Lord, and my recompense with my God.” And now the Lord says, he who formed me from the womb to be his servant, to bring Jacob back to him; and that Israel might be gathered to him for I am honoured in the eyes of the Lord, and my God has become my strength he says: “It is too light a thing that you should be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob and to bring back the preserved of Israel; I will make you as a light for the nations, that my salvation may reach to the end of the earth.”

Psalm 139:1-3, 13-14, 15 (R. 14a)

R/. I thank you who wonderfully made me.

Second Reading: Acts 13:22-26

In those days: Paul said, “God raised up David to be their king, of whom he testified and said, ‘I have found in David the son of Jesse a man after my heart, who will do all my will.’ Of this man's offspring God has brought to Israel a Saviour, Jesus, as he promised. Before his coming, John had proclaimed a baptism of repentance to all the people of Israel. And as John was finishing his course, he said, ‘What do you suppose that I am? I am not he. No, but behold, after me one is coming, the sandals of whose feet I am not worthy to untie.’ Brothers, sons of the family of Abraham, and those among you who fear God, to us has been sent the message of this salvation.”

Alleluia

V/. Alleluia R/. Alleluia

V/. You, child, will be called the prophet of the Most High; for you will go before the Lord to prepare his ways.

R/. Alleluia

Gospel : Luke 1:57-66, 80

Now the time came for Elizabeth to give birth, and she bore a son. And her neighbours and relatives heard that the Lord had shown great mercy to her, and they rejoiced with her. And on the eighth day they came to circumcise the child. And they would have called him Zechariah after his father, but his mother answered, “No; he shall be called John.” And they said to her, “None of your relatives is called by this name.” And they made signs to his father, inquiring what he wanted him to be called. And he asked for a writing tablet and wrote, “His name is John.” And they all wondered. And immediately his mouth was opened and his tongue loosed, and he spoke, blessing God. And a fear came on all their neighbours. And all these things were talked about through all the hill country of Judea, and all who heard them laid them up in their hearts, saying, “What then will this child be?” For the hand of the Lord was with him. And the child grew and became strong in spirit, and he was in the wilderness until the day of his public appearance to Israel.

Daily Gospel Reflection

The Reflection by Fr. Thumma Mariadas Reddy MSFS{alertWarning}

Highlight: Destined for Eternity from eternity!

Indicative: Our life is not a haphazard or fortuitous existence without a goal and direction. It is a gratuitous and gracious gift of God{alertSuccess}

1. Today we celebrate the birth of John the Baptist. His is the only birth we celebrate besides the birthdays of the Lord and the Mother. That alone shows the singular importance that is accorded to him.

2. The words of prophets Jeremiah 1. 4-10 and Isaiah 49. 1-6 are true and applicable to his birth and mission.

3. He has been eternally destined by God to be his precursor, who prepares the way for the Messiah, who preaches repentance and converts many to the way of the Lord. He was called and named by the Lord from the mother’s womb. He was made like a sharp sword and like a polished arrow. He was the chosen servant of God. He was made as a light to the nations. In him, God is glorified.

4. The second reading from Acts 13. 22-26 also indicates that John is a man after God’s own heart who will do all his will like David. God Himself would be his shield and guide. He would hide him in the shadow of His hand and in His quiver. Hence no fear!

5. The birth of John the Baptist recalls and reminds us of our own Christian vocation and mission. This can be summarised in three essential aspects: destiny, consecration, and empowerment.

6. We are destined for eternity, destined to be heirs of heaven. In the pursuit of this destiny, we are consecrated to be His own, to be the disciples of Christ on his mission. In carrying out this mission and living out of the life of grace, we are empowered with His own power that emboldens us and illumines us amidst all fears and evil forces.

7. John the Baptist lived and accomplished his destiny, consecration, and empowerment by his undistracted focus, humble surrender, and unflinching loyalty.

Practice: Life will be joyful and fulfilling to the extent we are profoundly aware and live our project of destiny, consecration, and empowerment in focus, surrender, and commitment{alertSuccess}

Sam

Hello this is Sam, I am Blogger.

Post a Comment

Thank You for your comment

Previous Post Next Post