Catholic Mass Readings and Reflection June 29, 2023

12th Week in Ordinary Time

29th June 2023 (Thursday) Readings and Reflection

Psalter: Week 4

catholic-mass-readings-and-reflection-june-29-2023

Reading of the Day

First Reading: Acts 12:1-11

In those days: Herod the king laid violent hands on some who belonged to the church. He killed James the brother of John with the sword, and when he saw that it pleased the Jews, he proceeded to arrest Peter also. This was during the days of Unleavened Bread. And when he had seized him, he put him in prison, delivering him over to four squads of soldiers to guard him, intending after the Passover to bring him out to the people. So Peter was kept in prison, but earnest prayer for him was made to God by the church. Now when Herod was about to bring him out, on that very night, Peter was sleeping between two soldiers, bound with two chains, and sentries before the door were guarding the prison. And behold, an angel of the Lord stood next to him, and a light shone in the cell. He struck Peter on the side and woke him, saying, “Get up quickly.” And the chains fell off his hands. And the angel said to him, “Dress yourself and put on your sandals.” And he did so. And he said to him, “Wrap your cloak round you and follow me.” And he went out and followed him. He did not know that what was being done by the angel was real, but thought he was seeing a vision. When they had passed the first and the second guard, they came to the iron gate leading into the city. It opened for them of its own accord, and they went out and went along one street, and immediately the angel left him. When Peter came to himself, he said, “Now I am sure that the Lord has sent his angel and rescued me from the hand of Herod and from all that the Jewish people were expecting.”

Psalm 34:2-3, 4-5, 6-7, 8-9 (R. see 5b)

R/. From all my terrors he set me free.

Second Reading: 2 Timothy 4:6-8, 17-18

Beloved: I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing. But the Lord stood by me and strengthened me so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. So I was rescued from the lion's mouth. The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed and bring me safely into his heavenly kingdom. To him be the glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Alleluia

V/. Alleluia R/. Alleluia

V/. You are Peter, and on this rock I will build my Church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

R/. Alleluia

Gospel : Matthew 16:13-19

At that time: When Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” And they said, “Some say John the Baptist, others say Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.” He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”

Daily Gospel Reflection

The Reflection by Fr. Thumma Mariadas Reddy MSFS{alertWarning}

Highlight: Loyal to the Royal Master!

Indicative: The greatness of faith is not so much in what one does by oneself for the Lord, but in what one allows God to do in and through oneself, in surrender and dedication{alertSuccess}

1. Today we celebrate the solemnity of Sts Peter and Paul. In a way, they are the two prime craftsmen of the edifice of the Church, after the heart of Christ, the real Founder, and the Master Architect. They are the master servants of the Supreme Master and the servant leaders of the community of believers.

2. What is striking and awe-inspiring in both of them is their unbounded passion for Christ. It is this passionate love for him that makes them stand solid like a rock even in the face of terrible adversities and persecutions, leading to martyrdom as well.

3. It is this passion that makes Peter announce with conviction, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God” (Mt 16. 16). It is this passion that makes Peter affirm with indefectible loyalty, “To whom shall we go, Lord? You have the words of eternal life” (cf. Jn 6. 68).

4. It is this passion that makes him confess his love with total heart, “Lord, you know that I love you” (cf. Jn 21. 15-19). It is the same passion that keeps his faith undaunted despite the imprisonments or other sufferings.

5. The same passion is amply manifest in Paul as well. See what a fire of love consumes him when he professes his love for Christ, “Who or what can separate us from the love of Christ?” Nothing and no one can ever work against us when Christ is with us and when we love him (cf. Rom 8. 35-39).

6. However, this passion is not merely sentimental or limited only to words. It is deeply actual and authentic in action. It shows itself in total detachment and sacrifice. That is why Peter left everything and followed the Lord at his call (cf. Luke 5. 8-11). He would also attest, “You see we have given up everything to follow you” (Mt 20. 27).

7. That is why, Paul would exclaim in Phil 3. 7-8: “But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake, I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as refuse, in order that I may gain Christ”.

8. Further, this same passion would set them on fire in the same mission of Christ, charged with perseverance, loyalty, and commitment. It makes them selfless and fearless in carrying out the mission of Christ. Their passionate mission knew no bounds and so it cut across all boundaries.

9. They remained true to their Master to the end. They testified their love and passion for their Lord by their blood. It is this authenticity of commitment that makes Paul declare in today’s second reading from 2 Timothy 4. 6-8, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith”.

10. Today, perhaps, this fiery passion of Peter and Paul may be covered under the ashes of fabrics of authority and administration in line with Peter, or under the garbs of eloquent preaching and supervision in line with Paul.

11. We will be doing great injustice to Peter and Paul if we limit them to suit our rungs of power and word. Their passion, their loyalty, and their self-emptying commitment should be rediscovered and reactivated.

Practice: Passion for Christ should never diminish on account of other worthless passions. Zeal for the mission of Christ should not be dominated by self-oriented ministries.{alertSuccess}

Read from PDF

{getButton} $text={Download} $icon={Icon Name} $color={Hex Color}

Sam

Hello this is Sam, I am Blogger.

Post a Comment

Thank You for your comment

Previous Post Next Post