Catholic Mass Readings and Reflection May 06, 2023

Fourth Week of Easter

06th May 2023 (Saturday) Readings and Reflection

catholic-mass-readings-and-reflection-april-06-2023

Reading of the Day

First Reading: Acts 13:44-52

44 The next Sabbath almost the whole city gathered to hear the word of the Lord. 45 But when the Jews saw the crowds, they were filled with jealousy and began to contradict what was spoken by Paul, reviling him. 46 And Paul and Barnabas spoke out boldly, saying, “It was necessary that the word of God be spoken first to you. Since you thrust it aside and judge yourselves unworthy of eternal life, behold, we are turning to the Gentiles. 47 For so the Lord has commanded us, saying, “‘I have made you a light for the Gentiles, that you may bring salvation to the ends of the earth.’” 48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed. 49 And the word of the Lord was spreading throughout the whole region. 50 But the Jews incited the devout women of high standing and the leading men of the city, stirred up persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and drove them out of their district. 51 But they shook off the dust from their feet against them and went to Iconium. 52 And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.

Psalm 98:1, 2-3ab, 3cd-4

R/. All the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God Or: Alleluia.

Gospel : JOHN 14:7-14

7 If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.” 8 Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” 9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. 11 Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves. 12 “Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father. 13 Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it.

Daily Gospel Reflection

The Reflection by Fr. Thumma Mariadas Reddy MSFS{alertWarning}

Main Theme: A door closes and another opens!

Indicative: God’s grace is always open and abundant. But it needs humility and docility to receive it and cooperate with it{alertSuccess}

1. Let us begin with the request of Philip in the gospel: “Show us the Father, and that will be enough for us”. What a lofty desire! In a world that always desires and strives for things and goals that are mostly worldly and self-centred, this desire of Philip is very challenging and impelling.

2. How many really want to see God? How many really ask, “Show us God”? Many see and enjoy many things of the world. But they are not really satisfied. Despite all the affluence, pleasure and comfort, many continue dissatisfied.

3. This clearly shows that nothing worldly can satisfy the deep interior craving. It is an insatiable search for something lasting, imperishable and higher.

4. Jesus incarnates and concretises God’s own essence and love. He shows us the invisible Father through his words and works, through his very person and life. It is because of the inalienable union and oneness of their identity.

5. Similarly, whoever is with the Lord, abides in him and does his works, will also become the “mirrors” and “images” of God. They will certainly receive all that they need. It is this communion and power that will sustain their every step and strengthen their every effort.

6. The Lord’s promise, “Whatever you ask in my name, I will do it” does not mean that there will not be any difficulties in our life and mission. In fact, the more we are committed, the more we will be tossed about by challenges.

7. This is what we see in the case of the apostles. Opposition and persecution never ceased. But they never asked for the problems to cease. They only prayed for strength and courage. God always sustained them with wisdom and comfort and joy of the Holy Spirit.

Imperative: In our mission, at times, many doors may close. Failures may embrace us. But we shall never deter from the Lord’s mission. For God gives success in His own time and in His own way, not known to the world{alertSuccess}

Sam

Hello this is Sam, I am Blogger.

2 Comments

Thank You for your comment

  1. Sam, thanks so much for what you do. I sent an modified version of your meditation to my 10 living kids and others. I also posted on FB.

    ReplyDelete
Previous Post Next Post