Catholic Mass Readings and Reflection May 23, 2023

Seventh Week of Easter

23rd May 2023 (Tuesday) Readings and Reflection

catholic-mass-readings-and-reflection-may-23-2023

Reading of the Day

First Reading: Acts 20:17-27

17 Now from Miletus he sent to Ephesus and called the elders of the church to come to him. 18 And when they came to him, he said to them: “You yourselves know how I lived among you the whole time from the first day that I set foot in Asia, 19 serving the Lord with all humility and with tears and with trials that happened to me through the plots of the Jews; 20 how I did not shrink from declaring to you anything that was profitable, and teaching you in public and from house to house, 21 testifying both to Jews and to Greeks of repentance toward God and of faith in our Lord Jesus Christ. 22 And now, behold, I am going to Jerusalem, constrained by the Spirit, not knowing what will happen to me there, 23 except that the Holy Spirit testifies to me in every city that imprisonment and afflictions await me. 24 But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God. 25 And now, behold, I know that none of you among whom I have gone about proclaiming the kingdom will see my face again. 26 Therefore I testify to you this day that I am innocent of the blood of all, 27 for I did not shrink from declaring to you the whole counsel of God.

Psalm 68:10-11, 20-21

R/. Your kingdom of the earth, sing to God. Or: Alleluia.

Gospel : John 17:1-11a

1 When Jesus had spoken these words, he lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, “Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you, 2 since you have given him authority over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. 3 And this is eternal life, that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. 4 I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do. 5 And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed. 6 “I have manifested your name to the people whom you gave me out of the world. Yours they were, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word. 7 Now they know that everything that you have given me is from you. 8 For I have given them the words that you gave me, and they have received them and have come to know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me. 9 I am praying for them. I am not praying for the world but for those whom you have given me, for they are yours. 10 All mine are yours, and yours are mine, and I am glorified in them. 11 And I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you.

Daily Gospel Reflection

The Reflection by Fr. Thumma Mariadas Reddy MSFS{alertWarning}

Main Theme: Serve with humility!

Indicative: Our life is meant to glorify God. This is possible only through repentance, faith and living a witnessing life{alertSuccess}

1. Jesus’ farewell discourse is coming to a close and his trial time of the cross is fast approaching. So, Jesus once again affirms his deepest communion with the Father and his concern for his disciples.

2. In one act, Jesus re-surrenders himself to the Father, and also surrenders and entrusts his disciples to the care of the Father. There is a deep sense of accomplishment and fulfilment, both in Jesus and Paul in the first reading.

3. It may appear to be a presumption. But in fact, it is the strength of conviction. This comes from a life that is authentic, committed and witnessing. That is why they could confidently and convincingly affirm their loyalty.

4. Paul would attest before the presbyters in Ephesus, “You know how I lived among you from the day first”. It was a life of unflinching zeal, and undaunted loyalty, “never shrinking from bearing witness, despite opposition and persecution. Jesus could confidently affirm, “I glorified you on earth accomplishing the work that you gave me to do”. Therefore he could ask the Father, “Now glorify me”.

5. Now the same address is given to all of us, his disciples: Glorify God through accomplishing His work entrusted to us. Belong to the Lord always, clinging to him in intimacy and holding fast to his word, come what may.

Imperative: Today how many can say to the people like Paul, “You know how I live among you”? or like Jesus, “Father, glorify me because I glorify you”?{alertSuccess}

Sam

Hello this is Sam, I am Blogger.

Post a Comment

Thank You for your comment

Previous Post Next Post