Catholic Mass Readings and Reflection May 24, 2023

Seventh Week of Easter

24th May 2023 (Wednesday) Readings and Reflection

catholic-mass-readings-and-reflection-may-24-2023

Reading of the Day

First Reading: Acts 20:28-38

28 Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood. 29 I know that after my departure fierce wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock; 30 and from among your own selves will arise men speaking twisted things, to draw away the disciples after them. 31 Therefore be alert, remembering that for three years I did not cease night or day to admonish every one with tears. 32 And now I commend you to God and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up and to give you the inheritance among all those who are sanctified. 33 I coveted no one's silver or gold or apparel. 34 You yourselves know that these hands ministered to my necessities and to those who were with me. 35 In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’” 36 And when he had said these things, he knelt down and prayed with them all. 37 And there was much weeping on the part of all; they embraced Paul and kissed him, 38 being sorrowful most of all because of the word he had spoken, that they would not see his face again. And they accompanied him to the ship.

Psalm 68:29-30, 33-35a, 35bc-36ab

R/. You kingdoms of the earth, sing to God. Or: Alleluia.

Gospel : John 17:11b-19

11b Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are one. 12 While I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given me. I have guarded them, and not one of them has been lost except the son of destruction, that the Scripture might be fulfilled. 13 But now I am coming to you, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have my joy fulfilled in themselves. 14 I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 15 I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one. 16 They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 17 Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. 18 As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. 19 And for their sake I consecrate myself, that they also may be sanctified in truth.

Daily Gospel Reflection

The Reflection by Fr. Thumma Mariadas Reddy MSFS{alertWarning}

Main Theme: Keep watch!

Indicative: God is one. We who belong to the one God must also be one in unity and fraternity{alertSuccess}

1. In both readings, we have the farewell scenes of Paul and Jesus respectively. And both are moving and touching. But they are not merely emotional and sentimental. They are deeply spiritual and missionary.

2. Both Jesus and Paul refer to their integrity of life and the depth of their relationship with their disciples. Paul lived a life of giving like Jesus, his master, in contrast to the worldly spirit of greed. He worked hard with self-dignity, never taking advantage of others’ goodness.

3. Jesus always loved the Father and did His will. He always loved his disciples, cared for them, and now would even die for them. So, now they would follow his example and continue the mission entrusted to them.

4. Both Jesus and Paul would warn and admonish their disciples about the challenge of their mission. First, they should never lose sight of their identity and mission. They are the overseers, the stewards of their flock. Their fundamental duty is to “tend” the flock.

5. They should never forget that their vocation and authority come from God. The flock is acquired by the Lord’s own blood. And they are appointed as stewards by the Holy Spirit himself.

6. They would always be alert and watchful. They must keep watch over themselves and over their flock because of the savage wolves that are fierce and prevailing. These are both from outside and from within as well. These would pervert the truth and draw away the disciples.

Imperative: The disciples must be vigilant. They ought to commend themselves to the gracious word of God. Do not belong to the world. Be consecrated in truth{alertSuccess}

Sam

Hello this is Sam, I am Blogger.

Post a Comment

Thank You for your comment

Previous Post Next Post