Catholic Mass Readings and Reflection May 25, 2023

Seventh Week of Easter

25th May 2023 (Thursday) Readings and Reflection

catholic-mass-readings-and-reflection-may-25-2023

Reading of the Day

First Reading: Acts 22:30; 23:6-11

30 But on the next day, desiring to know the real reason why he was being accused by the Jews, he unbound him and commanded the chief priests and all the council to meet, and he brought Paul down and set him before them.6 Now when Paul perceived that one part were Sadducees and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, “Brothers, I am a Pharisee, a son of Pharisees. It is with respect to the hope and the resurrection of the dead that I am on trial.” 7 And when he had said this, a dissension arose between the Pharisees and the Sadducees, and the assembly was divided. 8 For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, nor angel, nor spirit, but the Pharisees acknowledge them all. 9 Then a great clamor arose, and some of the scribes of the Pharisees' party stood up and contended sharply, “We find nothing wrong in this man. What if a spirit or an angel spoke to him?” 10 And when the dissension became violent, the tribune, afraid that Paul would be torn to pieces by them, commanded the soldiers to go down and take him away from among them by force and bring him into the barracks. 11 The following night the Lord stood by him and said, “Take courage, for as you have testified to the facts about me in Jerusalem, so you must testify also in Rome.”

Psalm 16:1-2a and 5, 7-8, 9-10, 11

R/. Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge. Or: Alleluia.

Gospel : John 17:20-26

20 “I do not ask for these only, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, 21 that they may all be one, just as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 The glory that you have given me I have given to them, that they may be one even as we are one, 23 I in them and you in me, that they may become perfectly one, so that the world may know that you sent me and loved them even as you loved me. 24 Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world. 25 O righteous Father, even though the world does not know you, I know you, and these know that you have sent me. 26 I made known to them your name, and I will continue to make it known, that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.”

Daily Gospel Reflection

The Reflection by Fr. Thumma Mariadas Reddy MSFS{alertWarning}

Main Theme: Take courage!

Indicative: Unity is the greatest testimony. It is the sign and proof that we belong to one God and one another and that we love one another{alertSuccess}

1. Unity is the most dominant theme in Jesus’ farewell discourse and prayer. In fact, it is not a sudden theme. It has always been there. Jesus unequivocally has been speaking about his oneness with the Father and his disciples. Now the farewell discourse is the climax and culmination.

2. His disciples should be united with him, the Father and the Spirit, just as he is united with the Father and the Spirit. There is a perfect unity between the Father, the Son and the Spirit. They are one in their divine identity, love and mission. There is no division or dissension or discrimination or unhealthy competition.

3. Similarly, his disciples should live in unity and harmony, sealed in the bond of fraternity and charity. Only unity is the authentic sign that we belong to God and we carry on His mission. Any disunity and dissension is a counter-sign. The world will know God and come to Him, not so much by great talent and eloquence, but by a life of unity.

4. This unity will be possible when we cultivate and foster Christ-like love. Love is genuine when we keep God’s word and do His will. Therefore, ultimately our duty is to bear witness to the Lord through union, love and fidelity.

Imperative: In a world that is torn apart by division and discrimination, as the children of one Father, as disciples of one Master and guided by one Spirit, we should bear witness to unity and love{alertSuccess}

Sam

Hello this is Sam, I am Blogger.

Post a Comment

Thank You for your comment

Previous Post Next Post