Catholic Mass Readings and Reflection May 26, 2023

Seventh Week of Easter

26th May 2023 (Friday) Readings and Reflection

catholic-mass-readings-and-reflection-may-26-2023

Reading of the Day

First Reading: Acts 25:13b-21

Agrippa the king and Bernice arrived at Caesarea and greeted Festus. 14 And as they stayed there many days, Festus laid Paul's case before the king, saying, “There is a man left prisoner by Felix, 15 and when I was at Jerusalem, the chief priests and the elders of the Jews laid out their case against him, asking for a sentence of condemnation against him. 16 I answered them that it was not the custom of the Romans to give up anyone before the accused met the accusers face to face and had opportunity to make his defense concerning the charge laid against him. 17 So when they came together here, I made no delay, but on the next day took my seat on the tribunal and ordered the man to be brought. 18 When the accusers stood up, they brought no charge in his case of such evils as I supposed. 19 Rather they had certain points of dispute with him about their own religion and about a certain Jesus, who was dead, but whom Paul asserted to be alive. 20 Being at a loss how to investigate these questions, I asked whether he wanted to go to Jerusalem and be tried there regarding them. 21 But when Paul had appealed to be kept in custody for the decision of the emperor, I ordered him to be held until I could send him to Caesar.”

103:1-2, 11-12, 19-20ab

R/. The Lord has fixed his throne in heaven. Or: Alleluia.

Gospel : John 21:15-19

15 When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Feed my lambs.” 16 He said to him a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” He said to him, “Yes, Lord; you know that I love you.” He said to him, “Tend my sheep.” 17 He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, “Do you love me?” and he said to him, “Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you.” Jesus said to him, “Feed my sheep. 18 Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you used to dress yourself and walk wherever you wanted, but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will dress you and carry you where you do not want to go.” 19 (This he said to show by what kind of death he was to glorify God.) And after saying this he said to him, “Follow me.”

Daily Gospel Reflection

The Reflection by Fr. Thumma Mariadas Reddy MSFS{alertWarning}

Main Theme: Higher concerns, lofty ideals!

Indicative: The call of the Lord is constant and consistent. Always he calls us to love him and follow him{alertSuccess}

1. “Do you love me?” is the question Jesus asks Peter thrice. The repetition indicates its importance that it is what perfects and completes the Christian life. For a disciple of Christ, love is the most important thing. It is his identity mark and the norm of his life.

2. Without love, there is no vocation and no mission. The whole acts of creation, redemption and sanctification are nothing but manifestations of love. Therefore, all the disciples of Christ are called to perpetuate the same heritage and legacy.

3. In Peter's answer, “Lord, you know that I love you”, we can also sense a sense of intimacy and confidence. He does not say, “Yes, I love you”. It is not enough that I think that I love the Lord. It is also important that I make the Lord know that I love him and I am also aware that he knows that I love him.

4. In the same answer, “Lord, you know that I love you”, there is also humility. Peter does not want to go by a presumptuous affirmation but seeks the approval of Jesus. Our love for the Lord must truly touch him and make him feel that I love him.

5. Jesus does not leave this love only at the emotive level. He takes it beyond. This love places upon Peter a demanding mission. It is to feed and tend the sheep. Some may distinguish between sheep and lambs. Sheep may refer to those who are prone to stray, and lambs may refer to the simple and weaklings.

6. However, we need not do such technical distinctions. For us, what is important is Jesus’ missionary mandate. It is to love him and follow him and show this in serving the sheep by protecting, feeding and guiding them.

7. What is notable is, Jesus does not hide the challenge of following him. He makes Peter aware of the full consequences of such a following. It will bring trials and eventual death.

Imperative: A disciple of Christ must never evade the difficulties that come on his way. Rather putting in more love, he shall continue to love him, follow him and serve others. He shall also guide them{alertSuccess}

Sam

Hello this is Sam, I am Blogger.

Post a Comment

Thank You for your comment

Previous Post Next Post